Thursday, January 6, 2011

Appreciating Mom When You Become One


I can remember being a little girl and disliking my mom. She’d hold my hand as a kid to keep me close. One day we were walking holding hands and I saw someone I knew. I immediately pulled my hand away when my mother asked for it back I replied, “No I don’t want anyone to know you’re my mom.” Ouch! She was a stay at home mom yet I favored my father. During my teenage years I was a terror. I never took her seriously, and always had something smart to say.

As a mother now of a little girl and another girl on the way, I can’t imagine going through what my mother went through with me. As a mother you feel so much love for your child. You work so hard to make sure that your child is well cared for, while sacrificing your own needs. You nurture your child all day to watch dad come home from work and reap the rewards. You go on the next day and continue your daily routine. Suddenly, this child thanks you by being disrespectful and you still love them! This is a mothers’ love. 

I know I am going to have hell to pay for now that it’s my turn. Besides feeling guilt I am grateful she was there. If I could go back I would take back all of the hurtful things I said to her. But, I am sure she has forgiven me in some form. Our relationship isn’t great today, this being one of many reasons, but I still love her. I wish I didn’t take her for granted when she was around. Maybe she would’ve stuck around longer. So, if you are one of those lucky ones who has a great relationship or have and opportunity to amend your relationship with your mom take advantage of it. You only get one mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment